OLDB is COM base protocol for connect to the data provider. Over the year,it has become quite popular. OLEDB provide is also used for SQL server Linked server, SSIS and SSAS data source.
According to this,SQL server 2012 is the latest version support the OLEDB Linked server to SQL server.
- List OLEDB provider installed on the OS from PowerShell
- List OLEDB Provider install in the SQL Server
- 64-bit OLEDB to ODBC provider MSDASQL
- Limitation for MSDASQL
List OLEDB provider installed on the OS from PowerShell
(New-Object system.data.oledb.oledbenumerator).GetElements() | select SOURCES_NAME, SOURCES_DESCRIPTION
List OLEDB Provider install in the SQL Server
64-bit OLEDB to ODBC provider MSDASQL
In 2006, MSFT was trying to deco the MSDASQL, however, many customer has reply the need for the MSDASQL hence MSFT decide to continue to support this. The Win2003 64-bit is the only OS would require installation separately from above link. Win7/Win2008 has already include it as part of OS.
Limitation for MSDASQL
- Does not support by SSAS, SSIS. however it works fine with SQL Server Linked server
- Does not support by DotNet Framwork.