- Download SSDT from here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/jj650015
- Down load SSDT-BI from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36843
The installation is base on the ISO image. I don’t have Visual Studio installed on the host before installing SSDT.
Once it is installed, you will see the Visual Studio 2012
The SSDT coming with localDB, which is the local sql server database ( not express version).
Within the SSDT, we only have SQL Server database project for now.
SSDT-BI installation is much more like SQL Server setup .
After you install both, SSDT and SSDT-BI , you will find the startup menu has been changed. as below :
The additional SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio has been added. I would expect this would be added right after the SSDT install not SSDT-BI. Both Startup has the BI templates.
It turns out.
- You only get the “SQL Server Data Tools for visual Studio” when you install SSDT-BI.
- You would get Visual Studio 2012 by either install SSDT or SSDT-BI. But the Database project would only be available after you install SSDT.
- After you install both, both Visual Studio 2012 and SQL Server Data tools for Visual Studio would have all the projects.
I really think this cause quite of confusion, SQL server team should just remove the short cut of Visual Studio 2012 and Use “SQL Server Data Tools for Visual studio” for both product.