Here are some notes for unattended installation of SQL Server 2008R2.
- OS: Windows Server 2008R2
- SQL Server version: SQL Server 2008R2 Enterprise Edison
Enable dotNet feature
Prepare Configuration file
- Use the setup.exe to create the configuration file once and use the updated configuration file to install on other host.
- The configuration file does not contain any password. The account password needs to be provided either through command line or interactively .
- I use QUIET = False and QUIETSIMPLE= True because I still want to see the progress. If both set as false, the installation will stop after setup the support rules as below screenshot, which this will need human interaction.
UIMODE is new attribute in 2008R2. Default is NORMAL. It is not compatible with QUIET and QUIETSIMPLE. I tried to set UIMODE as AutoAdvance ( QUIET and QUIETSIMPLE are both False). The installation stop at the License key. My Media is from MSDN; the license key has prepopulate. I have to comment the UIMODE and set QUIETSIMPLE to Tue to achieve the fully automation.
Below is my configuration file.
Here is the command line argument to run the installation.
Add the static port number
This change will need to bounce the SQL Server instance to be effective.
Add SPN for Kerberos Authentication
This setting does not require bounce to make it effective but client needs to reconnect to use the kerberos connection.
You can find more detail here.